What You Need For This Rib Roast:
1 (6 lb) beef Rib Roast
1 T anise seed, crushed
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 T olive oil
2 T Dijon mustard
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
3 C dried apricots
12 red boiling onions, halved
1/3 C orange juice
3 fresh pears, wedged
How to Make Fruited Holiday Rib Roast:
- Set the oven temperature to 325 degrees and allow the oven to heat up.
- Trim all the fat from the rib roast and discard.
- Place the anise seed and garlic in a mixing bowl.
- Pour in the oil and the mustard.
- Sprinkle in the salt and pepper and whisk together to combine well.
- Remove 3 T of the oil mixture and place in a separate bowl for later use.
- Place the roast on a rack in a shallow baking pan.
- Brush the roast with the remaining oil being sure to completely cover.
- Place the roast in the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Place the dried apricots and the onions into a mixing bowl.
- Pour in the orange juice and the reserved oil.
- Toss to coat the fruit and onions well.
- Place a piece of aluminum foil that is large enough to hold the fruit mixture.
- Fold the foil over the mixture being sure to leave room for steam.
- Place the foil wrap in the oven next to the roast for 30 minutes.
- Place the pears in an oven proof bowl or pan.
- Place them in the oven with the meat and fruit mixture for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the roast to a serving platter and garnish the platter with the pears.
- Add the apricots and onions to the platter, cover and allow standing for 15 minutes before serving.
Serving Size: 12
Beef rib roasts make a great centerpiece for that Christmas dinner. With the added fruits and onion this Christmas meat makes everyone’s mouth water in anticipation.