A utility room can be an important part of the home. This is often where appliances like hot water heaters, furnaces, washers and dryers, and freezers are stored. Cleaning equipment and supplies may also be stored in this space. This room should be functional and pleasing to look at, especially if you spend much time there.
Utility Room Storage: Functionality & Organization
* Make sure the things you use regularly are easy to reach. Infrequently used items can be put on a higher shelf or in a different part of the room.
* Store your laundry soap in smaller containers and refill as needed. Keep the large bulky detergent containers up and out of the way while the smaller easier to manage container is in arms reach.
* Utilize storage bins. Have bins clearly labeled with what’s in them so you know where everything goes and you can easily find things that you need.
* Have a laundry bag specifically for each type of laundry. For example, you may have one for darks, whites, delicates, heavily soiled items, etc.
* If you can affix a table to the wall for folding do it. Just make sure you aren’t blocking access to anything like any of the other appliances you have in your utility room. One that folds up and down might be a useful use of the space.
* Don’t forget a drying rack. If you’re short on space, a portable rack can be folded and stored when not in use.
* Attach an ironing board to the wall. Keep your iron stored in a handy place so you can iron things as soon as you pull them out of the dryer.
* Add a pole or a hook over the door for hanging your freshly ironed items on that you can just grab and easily put in the proper closets where they go.
* Keep extra clothes hangers in a storage bin in your utility room. These should be an easily accessible item in the room. Have mesh bags with your cleaning supplies as well for any delicates that need to be washed.
* Separate your utility room into specific areas. Keep the laundry in one space and pet supplies in another, and crafting supplies in yet another area.
* Store lost socks in a bag, in the laundry area. Eventually, its mate will show up.
* Don’t forget the trash can for collecting lint from the lint trap, dryer sheets if you use them, and any other trash you come across when emptying out pockets (used tissues, love notes, etc.).
It is a good idea to use a high-quality duster to make sure that your favorite storage locations are free of pesky dust particles. It’s always annoying to pull precious items out of storage and have them coated in dust. Make sure your duster is non-abrasive.
Assess your space and decide what you need to bring this room up to peak efficiency. Use these utility room storage ideas to add functionality and organization.
For 40 years, Champion Supplies has provided customers with solutions to their cleaning problems through the use of unique high-performance products, the majority of which are made in the USA. Our philosophy has always been to custom make, source, and market products of the highest quality that are typically not available in stores.